Sydney Capri Sherman | Birth Story

Sydney is going to be 5 soon! And since I didn’t have this blog when she was born, she’s the only one who doesn’t have a birth story. So Part 1 of the Sydney Countdown is her birth story!

DISCLAIMER: This is how I felt when Sydney was born. I wrote her birth story down in my diary and left it there. This is it being typed up. My feels are NOT the same now, my views on birthing, hospitals, and doctors have dramatically changed in the last five years. Please keep that in mind.

With Sydney I was due on July 8th, 2007. Jordan’s birthday is July 17th. The entire pregnancy Jordan said how he didn’t want her born on his birthday. He wanted her born one day early on 7/7/07. And we tried everything to convince my doctor to induce me one day early so that she could be born on that day. No such luck. We also have no luck with castor oil, red raspberry leaf tea, or driving over bumpy roads.

9 days later I still hadn’t had a single contraction, and I wasn’t dilated or effaced at all. So I was induced. I got to read my medical chart after Zachary was born, and they refereed to it as “prolonged pregnancy,” I wonder what they would have called my pregnancy with Zachary!

Check out those bellies

On the 16th we went to my regular appointment, were informed that I still hadn’t made any progress, but that it was time to induce, and since Dr. L knew Jordan didn’t want to have a baby on his birthday she started talking about inducing me on the 18th. At this point Jordan asked if she could be born on his birthday. EVERYONE in the room (nurse included) stared at him in shock. But they scheduled me for 11:59 p.m., July 16th, 2007.

Problem was that we had errands to run in Vancouver until about 5. And then we had nothing else to do. And I had already saw every movie PG13 and under, we nixed that idea. It was very boring once all the stores closed and we attempted to nap in the car. In the end we ended up going to the hospital at 11:30. The nurse was surprised to see us. But we figured waiting in the hospital was better than waiting in the car.

The original plan was to put a pill on my cervix to soften it. But according to their contraction machine I was contracting every 7 minutes, so they told me they could induce me with pitocin but since I wasn’t dilated or effaced there was a good chance they would send me home in the morning. By this point Jordan was already asleep, so I agreed to it. Years later I found out the pill they wanted to put on my cervix is NOT meant for inducing, and several hospitals have been sued for using it as it has resulted in maternal and fetal death. So, I feel pretty grateful for “contractions.”


Of course I couldn’t sleep that night, I was strapped up to monitors and very uncomfortable, an hour later the nurse gave me some sleeping pills, which helped me sleep for 3 hours, and then she gave me a second dose, which granted me another three hours of sleep.

By 8 the next morning I was dilated to a 2, which at that point was considered good progress. By 11 I was at 4 cm, and they didn’t consider that good progress so they broke my water. I was pretty relieved by this because it meant I WAS having a baby that day. At 1 they checked me again and I was at an 8, having contractions every 20 minutes or so. I would lay very still in my bed and stare at the contraction machine, knowing that as soon as the marks on the paper started to go down I would feel relief. I got some IV meds at this point, which didn’t do anything except make me incredible dizzy. The whole room spun as soon as they were administered. At around 2 I was still at an 8, with contractions every 15 minutes and they weren’t impressed with this so they asked me to get an epidural, which I refused. She then asked in a condescending voice, “Why don’t you want an epidural? Are you afraid it’s going to paralyze you? Because it won’t. Don’t be martyr!” I still refused and the nurse then cranked up the pitoicin and told me to walk around. Upon sitting up I had water gushing out of me. I decided I would NOT be walking anyway. My contractions went from manageable every 15 minutes to insanely intense, having them every 2 minutes and within about 10 minutes the contractions were coming one on top of another with absolutely no relief.

The nurse returned around this time, with the anesthesiologist in toe. She asked me if I wanted that epidural yet. I agreed, but I was still very dizzy from the IV drugs and couldn’t hold myself up very well, Jordan had to help a lot. The anesthesiologist decided to put the epidural in between contractions, which all I had was about a two second relief, he tried to put it in at that time but the epidural needle bent in my back. And then he realized my contractions were one on top of another, so he put it in during a contraction, and it hurt SO badly that I was screaming in pain. The epidural made my entire body go completely numb from my chest down.  Around this time we had family members in our room, but when they checked me at 4 and said I was complete and it was time to push we kicked them all out.

They called in all the doctors and decided it was time to push. The anesthesiologist was called back in to turn my epidural down a little bit. I was still completely numb, with no urge to push, except that I felt like my back was on fire.

I spent the next five hours pushing, and pushing and pushing. The doctors would stare at the contraction machine and tell me I was contracting and that it was time to push, and then Jordan would count to 10 very slowly and I’ve have to push the whole time. When I would stop or was unable to hold my breath for that long I was scolded.

Around 9 the doctors gave me my options; episotomy, c-section, forceps or a kiwi. My doctor vito’ed the episotomy as I wasn’t tearing so there was no reason to do it. I ruled out forceps as I didn’t want my baby to have a giant scar (I didn’t even realize they still used them!) and I had no idea what a kiwi was, and as they wouldn’t let me eat anything I didn’t see it’s value. A kiwi, btw, is the manufactures name of the vacuum sucker, which would have gotten her out. So a c-section was decided. I fell asleep around this time, and drifted in an out of sleep for the next 24 hours.

Here is when I woke up:


When being wheeled down the hallway to the OR. I woke up paranoid because I couldn’t feel my gown and I was afraid that on the way to the OR I was exposing myself to all our family members in the waiting room. (I was covered in blankets and we didn’t even go past that particular waiting room.)

While in the OR they kept poking me and asking if I could feel it.


I was awake but unable to open my eyes when Sydney was born. I woke up for her first cry, the announcement of “it’s a girl!” and for her weight. I fell back asleep in between each event, but I am very grateful to have been awake during them.


I woke up a little bit later and Jordan was sitting next to my head holding Sydney. The room was too bight so I couldn’t keep my very heavy eye lids open.


When we got back to our room Jordan had to wait to showed her off to all the family members, he kept going between my room and the waiting room and kept asking the nurse if they could come in yet. Sydney hated being swaddled and kicked her way free, with the force of her kicking she flipped herself over and peed all over the blankets, the nurse was no amused by Jordan not staying in my room, and she said if he wasn’t back in the next minute she would be giving the baby a bath. Jordan missed the first bath due to the impatience of that nurse. But after the bath we were allowed to let the family members back in the room and when they left Jordan took care of her the whole night and next day.


Sydney Capri Sherman was born on Tuesday, July 17th, 2007 at 10:31 p.m. She weighed 7lbs 2oz and was 19.5 inches long. She had a gorgeous head of hair.


They discovered after the c-section that she was posterior (sunny side up) and so pushing flat on my back wasn’t very helpful. In the first few picture you can see that she had busing around her eyes, which was a result of her hitting my pelvic bone for five hours. When they first cut me open she stuck her hand out of the incision and waved, Dr. K laughed, told Jordan what was happening and stuck her hand back in said, “Nope, that’s not how you come out!” and then pulled her out by her head.

Technically the c-section was an emergency, but no one was dying and everyone was just fine (which is why I waited an hour and a half for my c-section.)

 photo thyme-sig_zpsf1486624.jpg
Share this article!

Subscripe to Our Blog Updates!

Subscribe to Our Free Email Updates!


  1. G & G Smith says:

    She was worth it all!!!


  1. […] Sydney was born after an induction and 5 hours of pushing. I call her’s a “non-emergency” c-section. It wasn’t scheduled. […]

Speak Your Mind